It proves sometimes useful to know the execution time of a task. The time command makes it possible to determine the duration of a process, it uses the clock system, so it depends on your processor and on its request: in other words, if you watch a movie and you compile a C++ program, the time compilation will last longer that if you compile it without watching the movie.
To time a task, we use the time command plus the task. Here, we want to list (ls -al) the whole current directory recursively(R), i.e. we also consider subdirectories.
- real corresponds to the real time of the task. .
- user corresponds to the user time, i.e. the CPU time used by the user’s program
- sys defines time system, that corresponds to the time used by the system to manage the execution of the task.
Consequently, we easily determine time CPU of the task, I recall you that time CPU is defines as follows: CPU = user time + sys time. Then do not waste time, and test this command!
If you found this post or this website helpful and would like to support our work, please consider making a donation. Thank you!Help Us
Articles in the same category
- Linux - Tip of the day
- Time a task: time
- SVN -- How to ignore file or directory in subversion?
- SVN -- Branch, Branching subversion howto
- Speedup GNU make build and compilation process
- phpMyAdmin: Search and Replace in MySQL database
- Linux How to delete or remove printer from command line
- Linux How to connect to Windows with remote desktop RDP in CentOS 7 / RedHat 7
- Intel compilation for MIC architecture KNL Knights Landing
- How to setup SSH timeout in shell script ?
- How to make a denial of a service with fork functions in BASH ?
- How to encrypt/decrypt a file or directory in Linux?
- How to diff remote files using ssh ?
- How to Convert Text File From ISO-8859-15 to UTF-8 Encoding
- How to change the MAC address on Linux
- Got permission denied while trying to connect to the Docker daemon socket
- GNU compilation for MIC architecture KNL Knights Landing
- Generating a self-signed certificate using OpenSSL with Linux CentOs/RedHat for Apache/httpd
- Find out biggest cpu/memory consuming processes with ps command
- Find list of options that python was compiled with
- Download music and videos .mp3, .wma, .avi, .mpg , divx with google
- Crontab : Scheduling Tasks
- Comment changer son adresse MAC sous Linux
- Check/find version of numpy i'm using
- Archiving and compressing data files tar