The following -W… options is not affected by -Wall.
-Weffc++ (C++ and Objective-C++ only) Warn about violations of the following style guidelines from Scott Meyers’ Effective C++ book:
- Item 11: Define a copy constructor and an assignment operator for classes with dynamically allocated memory.
- Item 12: Prefer initialization to assignment in constructors.
- Item 14: Make destructors virtual in base classes.
- Item 15: Have operator= return a reference to *this.
Item 23: Don’t try to return a reference when you must return an object.
Also warn about violations of the following style guidelines from Scott Meyers’ More Effective C++ book:
- Item 6: Distinguish between prefix and postfix forms of increment and decrement operators.
Item 7: Never overload &&, ||, or ,.
When selecting this option, be aware that the standard library headers do not obey all of these guidelines; use `grep -v’ to filter out those warnings.
If you found this post or this website helpful and would like to support our work, please consider making a donation. Thank you!Help Us
Articles in the same category
- C++ - Faq C++ GCC G++
- Undefined Symbol ___gxx_personality_v0
- gcc /g++ Why some variables are not detected as not used during compilation?
- gcc / g++ preprocessor flags for the compiler version number
- gcc / g++ how to dump all preprocessor definitions
- gcc / g++ find where a header file is included from
- g++ compilation option -Weffc++
- Disable all gcc / g++ warnings
- Code that compiles with gcc but not g++
- Build in release mode with full optimizations in gcc / g++